Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Science of Grey Matter. Hip-Hop Interview Exclusive by JasmineKay Word Up Source

Grey matter (or gray matter) is a major component of the central nervous system, consisting of nerve cell bodies (neurons), glial cells (astroglia and oligodendrocytes), capillaries, and short nerve cell extensions/processes (axons and dendrites). In this case, Grey Matter consists of the major foundation elements of hip hop mc’ing, breaking, dj’ing and graffiti, catching the attention of the true hip hop artist to create a response. With a 12-year track record under his belt the Inland Empire, the Southern California, native is out to hit us with his intelligence once again. On his solo album entitled “GRAVE MATTERS”, not only his skills as a MC but with his record label Ruben Young Entertainment & Media, got my response and full attention. We had a chance to sit down to discuss music, and offer the intelligence and truth beyond the mere black & white of the existing Grey Matter in hip hop culture.


Jasmine Kay Word Up Source: Where did Grey Matter come from? We know the science of Grey Matter from the intro paragraph supporting intelligence? How did you get that name?

Grey Matter: Basically, when I began rhyming seriously around 1998, I felt I needed a name and direction. I had used my old Graffiti Moniker so long, I felt it was time to move on and become something greater in the hip-hop and underground communities. My lyrics have always focused on truth, honesty, politics, religion, crime, violence, ignorance and education. Grey Matter is simply what came to be from all of that which flowed around in my head.


JasmineKay Word Up Source Exclusive:
The calm of the storm is gone so what motivates you? How do you re- aline your thinking? How do you do that? I listened to Divine Lines and thought to ask you. How do you get back on your feet when shit happens? Or how do you just stay motivated?

Grey Matter: I have more songs that focus on controversy or the negative nature of man, so with Divine Lines, I wanted to remind people that I am a human being. I think I needed to remind myself that as well. Writing and rhyming about war and violence in the media is harsh stuff to deal with. If I don’t bring myself down from all of that when I’m done or in a good mood, I can’t very well get a positive message to the people. I need to remain diverse and speak about the good things in life, such as Hip-Hop, which me along with my fellow men and women create everyday. And it’s beautiful.

JasmineKay Word Up Source Exclusive: You’re cool and you keep your stance focused with definition! So what makes you break under pressure, what makes you, what throws you off the wall, and makes you want to freak and block intelligence. What Im asking you is what pisses you off, what makes you not Hush?

Grey Matter: Ignorance and lies and the people who use them directly to hurt others and gain from it. That’s what war is to me. That’s what racism is to me. That’s why Hip-Hop is in existence today; because it is what grows from the frustration of people who go through these things. If you live on planet Earth, you should be concerned with what’s going on within it. You should especially be involved with what is going on in it. If you do not live on Earth, disregard that last word of advice.

JasmineKay Word Up Source Exclusive: Hip Has many elements mc’ing, breaking, dj’ing and graffiti and you cover them all and more?

Grey Matter: I’ve been an MC for about 12 years, serious about music for the last 6 years. My involvement in Hip-Hop actually started with my passion for Graffiti, which I began writing when I was 12 or 13. Before that, I did some breaking with the neighborhood kids and I’ve dabbled in DJ’ing. Not so good with the last 2, which is why I respect all those hardworking DJ’s and B-Boys. You know who you are. I love it when I see graff in videos and B-Boys on stage or at shows or in the streets sometimes. It’s the combination of these things that gives us our unique culture, and even if you are not involved in one or more of them, don’t be ashamed or ignorant to the fact they exist. I love them all, and let’s not forget Beatboxing, everyone that’s ever been in a real cypher knows what’s up with that.

JasmineKay Word Up Source Exclusive: What your rhyme and reazon?

Grey Matter:
“I represent hip hop in its purest form, including the elements, mc’ing, breaking, dj’ing and graffiti for sure! I’ve been involved in graffiti and hip hop for 17 years and have loved it all my life! I love to create hip hop in various forms, such as hardcore, political, political, lyrically challenging, battle, raps, poetic flows, conscious and positive hip hop, latin and experimental”.

JasmineKay Word Up Source Exclusive: Tell me what happened when your broke up with Graffic Aphliktionz your cousin ” The Rage”? And tell us how you felt about splitting up with your own cousin, breaking up with your family since you both started together and which led you into rhyming at open mics and freestyling!

Grey Matter: Well, fortunately for him, he’s extremely talented (and a new father! Congrats!) so, he’s moved on to bigger things. He’s a hardcore top vocalist in the Metal scene in So. Cal. right now, just got signed, so I’m proud of him. I will say it was hard when we started doing our thing, but so much good has come from it, I can’t say I have any regrets or bitterness. He’s happy and I’m about to release my new album and between us, there’s always been Blood connecting us, so our success is just a tribute in all to our friends, fans and family who support us. Thanks.

JasmineKay Word Up Source Exclusive: What else has been going on in your world, past present and future?

Grey Matter: Grey Matter can be seen in a scene from “Grand Theft Parsons”, a dark comedy film directed by David Caffrey. With Jamie McShane, Johnny Knoxville, Danielle Sapia and Christina Applegate. Watch it on Showtime Regularly or you can rent or buy it from your local video store. We also opened for, performed with and booked various well known underground acts from the west coast so many to name. I am looking at working on possibly producing a film, but I’m merely looking at scripts and can’t really talk about that just yet.

In the future, I hope to be releasing a series of compilations featuring mainly West Coast artists from the Inland Empire and Sacramento areas under my company, RYME.

JasmineKay Word Up Source Exclusive: You busy! Which do you enjoy more being involved in creating media such as websites, fliers and promotional materials or the production side of things?

Grey Matter: Well, since working in design and also working in music and film production and promotion, I’d say I want to stay true to the Hip-Hop culture which is based a lot, I think, on the music. So, I will hopefully grow as a producer, in music and film, although I’m looking at music videos next. We’ll see.

JasmineKay Word Up Source Exclusive: And currently what do you have for us?

Grey Matter: I want to invite artists from everywhere to get in contact with me for promotion, artwork and collaborations. I have a lot in store for the compilations I want to put out, especially one with multi-lingual rhyming, that means a multi-national Hip-Hop compilation featuring MC’s of any and all nationalities & lyrics in various languages. Also, Grave Matters producer Bobby-Lo, I owe him a lot and DJ Seizure; will be released Spring of 2008, date not exact, but keep posted on Hip-Hop.net and MySpace for that! The “4 Elements and 33 Particles: The Mixtape” has been delayed for numerous reasons, but it will be out around the same time as the album. The mixtape will be mainly to promote my joining forces with DJ Seizure.

Jasmine Kay Word Up Source Exclusive: I know your first album “IMMACKULATE MISCONCEPTIONS” was highly politically charged so what do you have in store for us now? Give us a head up!

Grey Matter: This year, I am releasing my long awaited second album entitled ‘Grave Matters’ which largely focuses on True School, Hardcore, Underground and West Coast flavors of Hip-Hop. With my recent exposure and connection to various underground companies, artists and labels, I feel this release will give me a solid place in the underground West Coast Hip-Hop scene.

Jasmine Kay Word Up Source Exclusive: Thank you for your time and thanks for hooking up with me and kickin it today, GREY MATTER with his own Ruben Young Entertainment & Media, a mixtape with long friend Dj Seizure and producers from Hood League Records and a solo album entitled “GRAVE MATTERS” coming soon. Grey Matter the artist got me listening, with his science there its simply Hip Hop ingenuity and intelligence.

Grey Matter: Big Respect, California where I’m from and represent. Check it out. Peace.

Check the music and for that matter keep in check with Grey Matter at:

Grey Matter. Myspace Link

Interview RYME & REAZON by: JasmineKay Hip Hop Word Up Source Hip Hop Corner. Interviews. Exclusive interviews with Hip-Hop artists. JasmineKay Word Up Source Up close Interviews with your favorite Hip-Hop Rap artists. Contact JasmineKay at blowthesound@yahoo.com. for interview services. All Rights Reserved. 2008.

Grey Matter, Jasminekay Wordup, Source, Interviews, Exclusive, Hip Hop Artist, Services, hip hop, rap, Services, Media, Promotions.

No comments:

About RYME and Grey Matter

My photo
Grey Matter (aka Ruben Young) is an anthropologist, activist, artist, MC & blogger working as a freelance graphic designer and illustrator. Originally from the Inland Empire, CA. Currently living and working in Sacramento, CA.